Joseph Calvin Freeman

Dorothy Ray Freeman

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mary Esther Skousen Ray Tenny

This was in Esther’s Book of Remembrance on her Personal Record page.(Spelling and punctuation are updated)

I started to school when 6 years old and only went far as the 8th grade or 8th reader. Then I went to work to help out at home. I was next to the youngest in a family of eight children. I did not want to go away from school, but my dear Father said “You know enough to be a good mother”. He believed in young marriages as he had often told me. I remember well how he made me look forward to being a wife and mother. In my thoughts I dreamed, as we girls often do, of my “Prince Charming” and prayed no mistakes would be made. So I gave up my schooling and went to work to help out at home as I did love my parents very much and had trust in their knowing just what was right for me, but I had way back in my mind - school. That was only in the school of hard knocks. I tried to forget my dream of going to school. I studied and read all I could and went on trusting in my faith and in my Heavenly Father working it out for me. Did He? I will let you know before I get through.

I worked here and there in homes in Alpine, in St. Johns, in Springerville, in Thatcher, all in Arizona. I worked for Stewarts, for McFates, Andersons, Lesuerues and others in Alpine; then in Thatcher there were the Wilkins, Robinsons, and others. I had fun as I worked and made hosts of friends wherever I went and now I meet people I have worked for and with and they all call me friend. I am so grateful and love all my friends and I hope I have no enemies. If I do, I don’t know it. Oh yes, there are those that like others better than I, but they talk to me and I do love to talk and I do love people.

No comments:

Post a Comment